December 29, 2010

Christmas 2010

Christmas was fantastic.
Kind of sad it's all over ('til next year!)
We undecorated the tree tonight.
And are looking forward to new adventures in the New Year!

Okay, so I felt like I didn't take many pics, but really, I did. I always do, right? Maybe not the ones I envisioned, exactly, since my kids are little and not going to just sit there by the tree in the cute pajamas I made them just so I can take a picture of them - NO WAY! They were much too excited and ready to just DIG IN to Christmas! So, I set the camera down. But I did get some ;-)

First though, I have to share a story that is already a favorite memory...

We always try to do something for others for Christmas. Others...perhaps less fortunate than ourselves. Most of these "things" we keep private, because that makes it a treasured gift to us. However, I want to share one because it melted my heart as it was Sawyer's first time doing something like this on Christmas - first time that he "got" it, at least a little bit.

We frequent the public library. Sawyer loves the puzzle they keep on the table in the Children's area just about as much as the books when we go. The puzzle that is old and missing pieces, that is. So a few week ago, as we were sitting there, I suggested to him that perhaps we could give a new puzzle to the library for Christmas, so that all of the children who come could enjoy it. He LIT UP with excitement, so it was decided. I took him to the store to pick out a puzzle. He picked out a classic, beautiful, wooden puzzle of safari animals. We put a big ribbon and a bow on it, and he helped make a card explaining our gift. The night before Christmas Eve (since they would be closed for the next few days) I took Sawyer to find the Children's librarian and to give his gift. As my small little son handed over the gift, the librarian's eyes filled with tears. She explained to him that sometimes people cry when they are very happy. Oh man. When I saw her read our note and start to cry, I was touched too and a few tears welled up in my eyes. The librarian was so excited about the gift, she took Sawyer over to show the other librarians the gift. "I think Santa will be good to you this year, because you did such a nice thing for the library. Thank you." I appreciated the big deal they all made out of Sawyer's little act of kindness. Honestly, experiencing that small act of giving - and teaching - with my son was my greatest gift this Christmas. Thanks to my mother for teaching me how to give "those" kind of gifts.

The rest was fun, too...

there were pretty girls

and

lots of rockin' around the Christmas tree

two of my beautiful sisters were able to spend time with us


Aspen only wished she could sit at the kids' table for Christmas Eve dinner...she just loved the little animals I glued to the center of the make-shift table I made for Sawyer and Alyssa. Maybe next year?


Jacob was the chef extraordinaire. Admittedly, I did nothing but help set the table. He is amazing - and so was all of the food! My sister, Kaitlin, brought yummy pies for dessert, too!

The kids had a little gift exchange. It was the only gift they each got to open on Christmas Eve, and they were beyond excited.

I was excited to see how Alyssa would like the little apron I made to go with her cookware. I think it was a hit!

All Sawyer asked for was "Mater" (from the movie "Cars") and a candy cane from Santa. He's been talking about it for weeks.

We wrote a note for Santa and left him some cookies and milk.
He even wrote us a note back! And left both Mater and a candycane in Sawyer's stocking - lucky boy!


Santa also left both of the kiddos Sock Monkeys. Sawyer has already named his "Pirate"

I made a big girl apron for Tia. By the way...it was HILARIOUS having her here, and seeing how confused the kids were. They were genuinely confused! After a day, Sawyer would walk up to one or the other of us and ask "are you Mommy? are you Tia?" and finally after a while, he would point, decidedly, and say "YOU are Mommy! and YOU are Tia!"


oh yea, the pajamas. I made these cute little vintage-y Christmas pajamas for the kids and gave them to them the first day of December to wear all month. I am usually not into seasonal attire, but I found this near-linen print that reminded me of wrapping paper my grandparents used to use, and so I thought I'd make pjs to wrap up two of my favorite things in this Christmas. (although for Sawyer, a shirt is at time optional ;-)

there's really so much more I could say. But I'll leave it at that. It was a nice Christmas - we skyped with family and we missed having our extended family around us, but we also had a marvelous time starting some of our own family's Christmas traditions in our own home.

We hope you all had a wonderful Christmas - and as the new year rolls around this weekend - Happy New Year to all!

5 comments:

Diana said...

Loved the story. you're such a great mother.
I loved your "And he carved the roast beast" part too. how nice to NOT have to do the cooking.
And, I BEAT ALLEGRA in Commenting! Woot ! :)

Ammo and Josh said...

We received your beautiful holiday card! Your family is gorgeous!Thank you for sharing the story about Sawyer giving the libray a puzzle. What a sweet experience and way to help teach your children the true spirit of Christmas. That is hilarious your kids got you and Tia mixed up!!! I died laughing!! Hope you have a wonderful New Year!! xo

Amber and Everett said...

by far my favorite thing I've read all week! Thanks for sharing! such a cute cute family you have

allegra said...

haha Diana, that made me laugh so hard. You did indeed beat me:) I've been out of town and behind on blogging, so you not only beat me by a little bit, but by a LOT. haha

Oh that is the sweetest story about the library puzzle. Way to teach the true meaning of christmas to the kids. You're so cute and such a great mom. Some of my fondest memories growing up are the ones where we helped families in need, too. Once we did the 12 days of christmas to a family and watched (in secret) from the car their reactions when they got a new "something" on the doorstep each day. Glad you had a great Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

I love the story about Sawyer and the library. I love the story of how Tysha and Jacob saved Tia from spending Christmas by herself even more. LOVE YOU!!!