October 2, 2008

Autumn in the air...

As Sawyer and I were out for a walk yesterday, we noticed something brilliant as we looked up!

The leaves are beginning to change their hue, and some are even starting to fall. Sawyer loves to look up at the trees as we walk along, and his doing so has inspired me to look up and around and not just up the street as we walk along.

We live on a hill, one block up from Lake Union. So our walks are, let's say, kind of steep. At least the block down to the lake or up to our street. One time an older gentleman saw me holding on tightly to our big jogging stroller as I tried to slow us down while walking downhill. "You better hope he doesn't get too big," he told me kindly out his window, "or he might just pull you down the hill!" He winked. I love old men :) Anyway, to give you an idea of the steep part, here is the sidewalk. They even made it lumpy so on rainy days we won't slip right down the hill.

Such crisp, fresh air abounds this time of the year. I love it. Here you can see a blue herring that we found on our walk. I think he is enjoying the slower pace Autumn seems to bring. I am always a bit sad to see Summer go...but Autumn is readily welcomed. I love that the days are still sunny (most) and have a nice warmth - warm enough to wear my flip-flops, and cool enough that I can wear layers of t-shirts or carry a sweater with me and not feel too hot if I wear my favorite pair of worn-out jeans.

Here's something you may not find at every park, but we happen to have a life-saving device at our local park. I guess you never know when someone might just take the plunge into Lake Union. Better to be safe than sorry, right?

Even the water seems to calm and cool with the arrival of Autumn. Things seem a little brighter. And less crowded. Kids are back in school and most of the tourists have gone home now. It's a time for all of us to reflect a bit, on the great year we've had as we prepare for the holidays and look ahead to the excitement of another year to come.

I love to watch the sea-planes take off and the sailboats go by. I take Sawyer to this park often, and look forward to the day when he can point with his little fingers and be as excited as I am when I see the planes take off and land...on water. Isn't it amazing? We don't have a playground at this particular park. Just lots of grass and wonderful things for the eyes to behold as one strolls along on a nice Autumn day, taking it all in.

5 comments:

AO said...

I DEFINITELY need to look up more on Collin's and I's walks.... what a wonderful post and pictures. You need to write a book!

Rachel and Jared said...

BEAUTIFUL pics Tysha!! You do such a wonderful job. I need some tips from you. And oh that Sawyer is such a doll...in a manly way.

Rach

melinda marie said...

Hi friend!
Has Sawyer had the chance to wear his outfit from Melaiya yet? Hope he didn't outgrow it before the weather changed!

What kind of camera do you have? It takes great shots. I splurged on the Nikon D80 and am still learning how to use the settings other than the automatic one.

Happy Fall and thanks for the bday greetings. It's fun to join in the 30 club!

Melinda

Jen said...

What a great place to walk. Dave and I love walking and kayaking there- good fun. I sent you an email and it kind of froze so let me know if you didnt recieve it.

awtitera said...

hello? when is sawyer coming over? grant's been asking...