October 22, 2008

Back to School


No, I am not going back to Grad School. I did my stint there and thoughtfully quit to pursue my dream job (Stay-at-home-Momma) which I am now busy doing and loving! HOWEVER, just because I quit Grad School doesn't mean I'm done with school, by any means! This time, Sawyer and I have gone back to school...together! We are now hanging out on the campus of Seattle Central Community College, on Capitol Hill, and enjoying a couple of hours a week in class together.

The Parent Child Center is an outstanding resource with a wealth of support, education, and activities for parents and their children. In the picture above you can see one of Sawyer's teachers giving him some smiles. We are really enjoying our class. There are two Early Childhood Education teachers and about 10 moms and babies. The room we meet in is just wonderful - I am excited for all the things we'll get to play with and activities and arts and crafts we will get to do as Sawyer grows and develops. Since all the babies in the class are between 2-6 months old, we mostly focus on a topic which is presented by one of the teachers, and parent discussion, during the first hour. Then, we do movement and song for the second hour, and top it all off with a snack at the end of class. I have taken many classes at community colleges in the past and must say I really enjoy the environment there. What a supportive and great atmosphere to be in! I hope Sawyer will love to learn as much as his parents do. I guess we are starting him out pretty early - I think going "off to college" with Mom before he is even 6 months old is a pretty great start.

3 comments:

Corey said...

What a great idea! It sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun for all of you. It's so great to have a support group and to associate with others whose kids are the same age as yours. Way to go Sawyer on hitting the books early. We always knew you were scholarly, just look at your cool parents!

Minna Dyer said...

I got my AA from SCCC. I'm glad you like it there.

AO said...

Wow..... I always knew you were an awesomemom....and that is WONDERFUL!