July 7, 2009

Christmas in July...or why I chopped my hair.

One of my favorite stories to read at Christmas time is O. Henry's "The Gift of the Magi." This past winter, I decided I wanted to be like Della and give my hair away. So, here we are in July...I've been letting my hair just grow for quite sometime. I don't mind it long - in fact, when I take the time to do it (very rare) it looks really pretty. I usually just let the natural wave take over and have "wild hair". (Jacob likes the natural "low maintenance" girl I am!) The last month or so, though, I was starting to feel a little too Laura Ingalls Wilder, if you know what I mean. Anyway - at the encouragement of one of my former nanny kids (Micaela!) I decided to finally get my hair cut and donate it to Locks of Love. It is going to be Christmas in July for some child who has lost their hair due to disease or chemotherapy!!!

One of my sisters tried to talk me out of it. I know I probably look better with long hair. But the trick is: I know mine will grow back. And I probably will grow it longer again in time. The kids I am donating it to - well, theirs might not. So, I went to my stylist, a guy at Habitude (an Aveda Salon) in Ballard named Kermit, who I adore, and I said: "Today's the day!" He knew I had been planning this. I asked him if it was a stylists dream to chop off a bunch of long hair. He said, "well, it is pretty exhilerating!" So I had him cut the 10 inches and then trusted him to make me look cute, with what was left. He did a great job! Only thing is, if I want it to look sleek, I have to do it now, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (short hair and natural wave don't go together that well for this style).

A Very Merry Christmas to whoever gets my hair!

11 comments:

Jaime said...

Very cute Tysha!! It might take a little work but it is a good cause and I think it looks great! A change is always fun!

Carrie Fowler said...

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrry cute ! I wish I had the guts to do that to my hair !!

Danielle said...

Maybe I'll have to try out Kermit. I go to habitude as well and have never really umm...bonded with a stylist. :)

David said...

LOVE IT! What a great gift. And, your hair is gorgeous either way!

lizzie said...

I think it looks great. I've toyed with the idea of growing my hair out and donating it, but by the time it even gets to my shoulders I feel very Laura Ingalls Wilder. :) (I love that phrase.)

The Ahlstrom Family said...

You look great - and it couldn't be for a better cause! We just went to the salon with one of Katie's friends last week to offer support as she did the same thing. She's only 5 - so I think it is amazing that she wanted to do this for someone else!

capturingtheride said...

Yes, amazingly 70% of all donors are children! I think it's wonderful!

Alldredge said...

I love it! It is soooo cute! Good for you, I've had quite a lot of people that have been doing that lately! Good for you guys!

~Audrey ~ said...

I think that is an awesome accomplishment!! And very kind. Besides you look darling with your new due!!

Ammo and Josh said...

Your new hair-do looks very chic! What a great act of service! You are going to really going to help ease the burden of some special child out there. What a great program!

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you had it cut already! Very selfless, sister :-)