December 5, 2008

Decking our Halls...

We have had a wonderful time doing our advent so far. On Monday, we got out all of our decorations and went at it. We put away all of our glass ornaments and probably won't see them again for the next decade (you know, little fingers and hands and glass just don't mix!) Now, we have plastic ornaments. They actually look pretty good. I am thinking of adding some red to our silver and antique blue. We also have snowflake ornaments that I adore. My grandmother made them for me when I first moved out on my own. They are crocheted, and add a bit more of home to our tree.

I think it turned out pretty nice. I just love looking at the lights and getting lost in my thoughts as I look at the tree, reminiscing of times past, of the glorious present, and of times yet to come...

Besides our tree, our stockings, and our advent, we really don't have a lot of other decorations. Well, we do have the snowflake decals that stick to the windows. My favorite of all, is our Nativity. Jacob and my parents helped me complete the set last Christmas. Not pictured are the wise men, and the camel and other shepherd and animals. I just love the simplicity of this Nativity scene.

Oh, the baking! Okay, so I think when I decided to bake "goodies to share" I should have known I'd go overboard. By the way, Sawyer was an excellent helper in the kitchen.

We ended up baking several types of cookies (including the Spritz cookies above) as well as mini loaves of banana bread. I also added some chocolate truffles, mini candy canes, and favorite quotes to the loot.

We made 20 goody bags to share. Whew!

This is my favorite part of this Christmas. Sawyer loves the tree just as much as we do. His eyes light up and he can sit there just staring for quite sometime. He likes the lights, the shiny ornaments (which he has grabbed off twice - the plastic ornaments were a great choice!), and also the colorful packages beneath the tree. Talk about incentive to get crawling! I found him like this yesterday, just laying there taking it all in. He then proceeded to scoot himself over and grab a bow. I just love watching his eyes light up with wonder and awe!

See what I mean? What a sweet, sweet boy we have!

Of course to go to our dinner party last night, we left our apartment right about the time we usually start our bedtime routine. Sawyer was a trooper (and a swooner with his "cool" hair: the ladies just adore this little man!) We had a nice time at the party, enjoyed the live band and good company, and then left before dessert was served. Gotta love the lifestyle changes of parenthood. Jacob and I both agree: he is well worth it!

5 comments:

AO said...

Adorable, adorable pictures...send a goodie bag to me! And those pictures of Sawyer....how precious. Collin also likes looking at the tree lights, but luckily he doesn't really move yet, so I think we are safe with one more year of "adult" ornaments. Thanks for sharing your Christmas memories with me!

Michaelynn said...

Those snowflake ornaments are absolutely beautiful. I wish I could do something so cool. I love reading how absolutely in love you are with your life these days. It is wonderful that you are filled with such joy. Thanks for sharing!

Dena said...

isn't that funny how that happens, and you're MORE than happy to leave to get some bedtime snuggles in?? I LOVE IT!!

the house looks great.

thinking of you often....

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I LOVE those little christmas tree cookies! You are the ultimate, sister! You ARE very blessed. Love you.

Auburn said...

oh - i love the tree, and ESPECIALLY his hair.