December 13, 2008

Hot Chocolate and Santa's Helpers

Night before last, we had our Hot Chocolate Party. Sawyer even got to stay up past his bedtime to join in on the fun. We turned off all the lights, except for the tree lights, and lit some candles. We listened to the Nutcracker Suite. We sipped our Cocoa and held hands, and kissed our little guy's chubby cheeks. It was so relaxing, and it was magical. Maybe not a hoppin' and jumpin' party...but very enjoyable and it was wonderful having the special time together.

We did try something new to "spice" up our party...or should we say our Hot Chocolate. We tried adding peppermint ice-cream to our drinks...and guess what? It was SO GOOD! You've got to try it! I think the Hot Chocolate Party was one of our favorite things on our list so far. Also, this week Sawyer and I went to pick a name of a child off the "Giving Tree". Problem was, every time I poked around the tree and looked at all the tags, I got a bit teary. I wish we had the means to help all of those kids! We ended up with two tags. I called Jacob and said, "I'm sorry - but we chose a 3 year old girl who wants a Barbie Doll...and also a 12 year old boy who just wants a coat." (He, of course, said "why are you sorry?") It was really fun, and really special, shopping for those two kids. I hope our tradition of being some of "Santa's Helpers" will one day be as cherished by Sawyer as it is by me.

My mother was and is an amazing helper to Santa. I will never forget the year that she went to buy some shoes for one of my siblings (there are 8 kids in our family) and she discovered that the shoe sales lady was a single mom who couldn't afford to do anything for Christmas for her little son. My mom came home, touched with the spirit of charity, which is a pure, Christ-like love. She enlisted our help and we picked out and wrapped toys for the little boy, pajamas and perfume for the mother, and put together two boxes of food for a complete Christmas dinner. My mom had me and my sister, Rachel, find the woman in the shoe department and give her a card from "Santa's Helpers". It said she needed to go by the catalog department (I think it was in JC Penney - back in the day!) before she went home that night, as Santa had left a few things for her. The woman started crying. My sister and I ran off. Our hearts were overflowing. What a priceless lesson my mother taught us.

Anyway, this season has been so special. We are enjoying each day of our Advent. We hope you are doing the same!

6 comments:

Michaelynn said...

I have a hard time with giving trees, too. I just want to help every one of them, too. Last year some friends and I put together packages to send to soldiers in Iraq. We had lists of things they had indicated they needed or would really like. It was hard to scale back for all those guys so alone and far away from home during the holidays.

Michaelynn said...

PS - I love the peppermint ice cream idea! I have to try that.

AO said...

Love, love your idea of the advent. You are being mentioned in my talk in sacrament meeting by the way.... I'm so touched by all the things you are doing for the spirit of the season...and I have GOT to try the peppermint ice cream thing. I love hot cocoa!

Solveig Atwood said...

I do the peppermint ice cream in hot chocolate every year. It is sooooo yummy!

Thanks so much for your Christmas card... I loved the picture of your cute little family! It sounds like you guys are doing well. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas. We miss you!

Minna Dyer said...

We are about to have our "lights out party", right after bath time. Maybe we'll have to invite some hot chocolate!

megan said...

The story about your mom's charity is so sweet. I started tearing up when Jeremiah was telling me the children's needs on his giving tree at work. "4-year-old: tricycle". Oh the pain!