December 29, 2009

An Oregon Christmas

This year was our last "traveling" Christmas. From now on, we plan to stay at home and create traditions celebrating with our children in our own home (though we will miss being with extended family!) So...it was our "turn" to go to my family's home in Bend, Oregon. We had such a great time visiting with family and celebrating Christmas. Sawyer was so "into it" this year, it made it so much fun. We only got him one gift, and then, of course, Santa brought him something special (I am not sure how he guessed it, but every time I said "who is going to come visit tonight?" he would say "Anta! Anta!" and then, "Choo-choo!!!" I guess somehow he knew he was a good boy and that Santa would bring him a train set?) Somehow, Santa stuffed some extra things in his sack for Sawyer and between Grandparents, Great-Grandma, and a couple of doting Aunts who were there as well - we ended up coming home with practically a sleigh full of toys for our boy! (I don't like the word "spoiled" but he was certainly showered with gifts! We were, too. Thanks, family!)
You would think with his obsession with trains, he would've gone for the train set first - but no - he went for the push toy instead. I think he was overwhelmed with so many new toys to play with (which first? what next?") The only toys he has really had, until now, are Legos, Books, and some Cars/Trucks. It will be nice for him to have more variety to choose from as our new baby arrives and we will be stuck in the house for a while.
Sawyer was just in heaven with all the family around. He got everyone's names down quickly. It was so beautiful to watch him build relationships with family we rarely get to see. I suppose that would include my youngest sister's dog, Tommie (a female). Sawyer just adored her. He would run around the house looking for her, saying "Nommie! Nommie!" And she was great with him! I guess that is a true sign that we should prepare ourselves for in a few years when he starts begging us for a dog!
Christmas Eve was actually sunny and warm, for Central Oregon. Christmas Day, however, the world was white. Not with snow - although it almost looked like it - but with a thick frost and heavy fog. It was beautiful and dreamy. I heard the dog barking and stepped outside to find some deer in the front yard. They were pretty skeptical of me and my black camera pointed at them, but I did catch them before they turned and hopped off to the forest (my family lives next to the Deschutes National Forest). They were so beautiful and graceful!

We had a wonderful trip. We even got to stop and see my brother's family (including my new 6-week-old nephew) for a short while as we were heading home and they were heading over Mt. Hood to visit family. We got home late last night with a very loaded car and a very tired family. We sure hope everyone else had a relaxing and enjoyable Christmas! Bring on the New Year!

4 comments:

Minna Dyer said...

Sounds like a wonderful holiday.
Merry Christmas!

Jennifer said...

It sounds like you had an awesome Christmas. I wish I could have been there to be one of the people Sawyer got to know! We send our love!
Jen

Anonymous said...

I'm stealing your pics, sis. Mine just don't come out like yours! Fun times! Sawyer and "Nommie" were so funny, I'm posting a video of Sawyer playing ball with Grandpa.

Brandon & Jamie said...

I love the pictures that you take.
It was a fun Christmas, I'm glad you guys came out.