December 17, 2009

You know...Dasher & Dancer & Prancer...






I have probably mentioned that each week of our Advent we have had to be a little flexible this year. Well, the blame can fall on me. Yes, it's the whole preggo thing still getting in the way of life as I would normally live it. (SOON, though, it will all be a distant memory and we will have our tiny baby girl in our arms!) So...I got a tip from a friend about this Nursery (Swanson's Nursery, in Ballard/Crown Hill) that is actually super close to our home, I just never knew about it. It is a beautiful nursery, and at this time of year they happen to have a couple of Santa's Reindeer visiting, along with a Camel and Donkey. Oh, can't forget the Koi Fish Pond in the cafe (yes, this nursery has a garden cafe - how cool is that?) and Sawyer will not let us forget the Holiday Trains they have set up in one of the nice, warm, greenhouses. So, that's what we decided to do instead of the Teddy Bear Suite this week. Of course, there was also some nice equipment for boys to play around...

Seeing the camel was fun for me, and reminded me of (again) my mission, where on my 23rd birthday, I got to ride in a camel caravan. It felt like a time warp, it was super cool. Also, in Spain, they celebrate "Three Kings" on Jan. 6th (they also have a small visit from Santa...but the Kings stopping by on their way to visit baby Jesus is the big deal. Kids leave out there shoes with some hay or straw for the camels to snack on, and the Kings leave them a gift...a very fun tradition). I remember going to a big parade, where the Kings made their way through the warm, busy, streets of the island of Lanzarote on camelback. It was awesome - really painted a picture of how it must've been...way back then. Strangely, it was on my mission in a warm, sub-tropical climate that I tried Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire. Go figure...

We had another good, busy week. Jacob and I had our date last night and went to Mint Design's Christmas Dinner at the amazing Canlis. We felt truly spoiled. (And a little bit like fish out of water, it is that nice - they don't even let you park your own car :) Sawyer had the time of his life with his little buddy, Max. He didn't even want to come home (a good thing, right?) Well, it's our turn tonight, and Max gets to come over here. We decided against another visit with Santa, since Sawyer was so scared of him last week, and instead, the boys will get to help make some Spritz cookies tonight. Well...I'm not sure how much they'll help make them...but I'm pretty sure they will be very helpful in eating them ;) Christmas is coming...quick!

3 comments:

allegra said...

those are awesome shots! i love the coloring and they get me in the christmas spirit even more... looks like fun. we still don't know what we're doing tonight, but we'll swing by around 5:00 to drop off Max. sound ok? Maybe we'll go see some reindeer!:)

Anonymous said...

I heart reindeer..too cute!

Danielle said...

I did not know about the excitement at Swanson's. I'm not sure we can fit it in, but I think we'll try... Thanks for the tip.