June 11, 2008

Sweet D Day



Today is Sawyer's estimated due date. And it doesn't look like he'll be showing up to celebrate it! But it's okay. We celebrated without him this morning. Jacob made a stop by Starbucks on his way home from the gym and we had some yummy sweet cinnamon rolls and milk for breakfast before heading to our check up with the Doc. Jacob said the cinnamon rolls were to celebrate that I have fully baked a little person inside of me. He said that is something to celebrate - even if that little person takes a few minutes - or days - over what the recipe calls for cooking time. I suppose we just have to poke him a few times with a toothpick and check, and sooner or later he'll be perfect and ready to come out of the oven :)

Nothing much has changed since last week's appointment, except that he has moved even further down (maybe he's listening to Jacob after all). The Doc offered to "sweep the membranes" if I wanted to see if that would help jump-start things, but we decided to be patient and just see what happens this week. She also said she has a "good feeling" something will happen this week. I'm holding her to that! If nothing does happen this week and we go back next Wednesday, they would then do a non-stress test and check on the fluid levels. And then, she would do the sweep of the membranes. If nothing happened after that, then next Friday they would intervene. Since she knows and respects that we want to do things as naturally as possible, she would try all the tricks she knows before putting Pitocin into my veins. So we'll just see what happens! I figure perhaps Sawyer is perfecting his lungs or something spectacular these last few days, and I don't want to interrupt him. I'm feeling pretty okay. Not GREAT - but who does at this point? I have some good moments and of course moments of not feeling so well. But I'm trying really hard to be patient. I know that patience is an ESSENTIAL virtue of the practice of parenting...so it doesn't hurt to start practicing it now!

Wish us luck!

9 comments:

Dan said...

Hang in there. Hannah was 9 days late. The "baked" idea is classic. I'll have to remember that one...

Danielle said...

Well, I can tell you that Nathan came out incredibly robust and healthy (and mellow and calm) after waiting his extra two weeks. So much so, that I think it is actually a good thing when they stay in the "oven" a little longer. I went through the membrane sweep (hurts and did absolutely no good), had about 3 non-stress tests (it's kinda fun actually), and the ultrasound to check fluids. Nothing to worry about. I agree with you that letting things happen when they want to is the best way. He's just so comfy and warm and cozy in there he doesn't want to come out. :) Jacob is a sweet guy. He's going to be a very fun dad.

Karen E. said...

It sounds like you are already much more patient than I would ever be! Good luck and all the best.

Rachel and Jared said...

Tysha,
I know how anxious you are at this point. I remember just wanting to see and hold Jackson in my arms (NOT in my belly any more). I am so excited to hear when little Sawyer decides to come (and for your sake I hope one his own and not with the doctor persuasion).
Rach

AO said...

Oh wonderful.... that is great that Sawyer is going to be fully baked. I am still voting he comes on Fathers Day!

Corey said...

You looked so great when I saw you today! I can't believe that your timer is done! Sawyer is going to be one cute "Cinnabun!"

Kim Cannon said...

Being patient can be hard, you are doing a great job. I can't wait to see photos of the little guy!

Brittany said...

i'll be craving a cinnamon roll now until i get one. i hope i don't have to get prego and wait 9 months.

good luck! it'll be here before you know it (especially since you don't know when that is).

Kate Otterstrom said...

So exciting, Tysha! Congratulations on making your due date and being so patient to the bargain. I hope that Sawyer comes soon for your sake. Pitocin stinks (having been there and done that since Inge decided to take a break after she decided to come!)