June 19, 2008

Until We Meet Again...


In life, we have great joys, and great sorrows. I think without one we wouldn't know the fullness of the other. Exactly one week ago today I experienced the greatest joy I think I've ever known - meeting my son for the first time. Exactly two days later, to the hour and minute, I experienced one of the greatest sorrows I've yet to know, as I held my little son in my arms and Jacob and my Mother told me the news that my Grandpa had passed away. Needless to say, I have been reflecting a lot about the circle of life. I know my Grandpa lived a full, long life that was wonderful. It was filled with hard work, goodness, and joy. Even though I know he can now rest peacefully and move on instead of in misery as he has the past several months, I don't think anyone is ever really ready to say good-bye. Especially to someone who changed your life, molded your character, and loved you unconditionally. So today I want to tell the world how lucky I am to have had such a great man in my life, to have called him my Grandfather. Because Sawyer is so little, we were not able to travel and attend the funeral service today, but we will be there in spirit. There is so much I could tell you about my Grandpa, but here is a little story to shed light on the kind of man that he was.

A few years back Grandpa gave me a fly-fishing pole for Christmas. I had mentioned I thought it would be fun to learn sometime, and he of course took note. So for the past few years I have made a special trip so that Grandpa and I could spend a day together fly-fishing each summer. There are two things I will never forget about our fishing trips. First, Grandpa’s sense of humor and indulging me in thinking I was a real fisherwoman. The thing is, we never caught a fish! But we couldn’t let Grandma know. So Grandpa had the bright idea of going to Ray’s Market and bringing home some King Salmon and claiming we caught it ourselves. He sure got a kick out of the idea of tricking Grandma. The three of us had a great laugh. Second, and most important, is what I call the Wildflower Incident. You see, the past couple of years Grandpa sometimes had a hard time saying the things he wanted to say. But, just like not coming home empty-handed from our trips, somehow he found a way to get his message across. So it was that as we took a break from fishing to eat some lunch, I found a bunch of wildflowers stuffed carefully into the seams of my backpack. For a moment I wondered, how did those get there? But then I looked up and I saw Grandpa’s face. I didn’t have to wonder anymore. I don’t think Grandpa could say it with words any better than he did looking down at me with his beautiful smile. I love you, is what he was saying, loud and clear. Now, whenever I see a bunch of wildflowers, I will always be reminded of my Grandpa and his love for me. I know he loved me more than anything. Grandpa – I love you, too, more than anything. Always.



Millard Roy Tope
The World's Greatest Grandpa

February 17, 1919 - June 14, 2008

You are greatly loved...
You will be greatly missed...

6 comments:

Rachel and Jared said...

Well I cried reading your post too. I will miss him so much, and you put everything so beautifully. I wish I could express my love for him as beautifully as you do yours.

Rach

Corey said...

A similar experience happened with us, my Grandpa passed away a few days before Hyrum was born. It's amazing saying good-bye to one life and hello to the other. It's such a blessing to have the gospel in our lives to know that families can be together forever.

Unknown said...

Hi, this is Rick---Jake's old roommate. My wife and I have enjoyed sharing in the joy of your new son, and I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. Like Corey, the same thing happened to us--how weird. We just had a baby three months ago and Steph's grandmother died the same day. We like to think that they passed each other in that space separating that life from this one.

Good luck.

Auburn said...

That was a beautiful post. We'll be thinking of you!!

AO said...

What a sweet post to your grandfather. He seems like he must have been amazing!

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Rachel said. It was a beautiful service, and although I was so sad, I couldn't help but remember Grandpa's love and sense of humor. I felt like somehow he is doing well and happy, even though we will miss him terribly. It really hurts.