April 8, 2010

Shoe Crazy!


The night before Aspen was born, I stayed up until midnight conducting an experiment. You see, I had seen these astoundingly adorable shoes on an Etsy site (Gracious Mae - totally go check them out and buy some if you don't want to spend all the time experimenting like me!). I loved them all so much but couldn't decide which ones to get and couldn't afford to buy multiple pairs. So...I decided to try and make some myself. I found a free pattern online for baby booties which gave me a basic idea of how to compose a shoe. Then, I totally tweaked it and played around until I found something that seemed to work and that I liked. That night, though, I used scraps and only had enough for one shoe. Maybe it was then that Aspen thought "I better get on out into the world because my Momma is going CRAZY with all these crafts - I mean, who makes their own shoes?" So exactly 12 hours from the time I turned off the sewing machine and admired my work, she was born!


Obviously, I had to finish making a pair of shoes after she was born, since I only made one beforehand. For the first 7-8 weeks she was an all-night party animal. "The Nocturnal One." So, I made shoes (that's why I was excited about the late shift!)




And more shoes. I just finished these up last night. Don't worry - many of them are going to be shipped off as gifts. I know girls tend to have a fetish for shoes - but come on - no one needs this many! I'll have to admit the vintage black polka dots are my fave!! Now, I just have to find clothes to match her shoes :)


This is just funny. Sawyer kept admiring the shoes and kept stealing them off the table, where I was working, to try them on. He was utterly disappointed that they were too small. I only wish I had the camera on me when he was trying to squeeze his chubby toddler feet into these tiny dainty little shoes. So, to lift his spirits, I said "why don't we get out your flip flops?" He got them for Christmas and it's been too chilly to wear them (although I wear flip flops year round. I actually wore flip flops to the hospital when we went to have Aspen). I told him I didn't know how to make "boy shoes" or else I would make him some. I told him that boy shoes are more "cool" anyway. So he put these cute little flip flops on his cute little feet and walked around saying "cool." Um hmm!


Since Aspen will have her baby blessing at church this coming Sunday, I made her some blessing shoes. They will match the hand-me-down white cotton dress I fixed up with my own touch, and the matching headband that I made. It's not lacy and frilly or anything. Simple. Beautiful. That's more my style anyway. I can hardly wait to see how she looks all dressed up!


Okay, my random post is done. And I mean DONE. I am DONE with craft projects for a while. Probably most of the summer. I'd much rather be at the beach, anyway! Plus, I am going to start back at "work" next week, so all my free time will be for editing photos and ordering prints from my shoots. When the cool Autumn air hits again and we need to spend more time indoors - then I'll break out the sewing machine again and work on some holiday gifts. But until then - this is it!

PS: to my sisters, Rachel & Kaitlin, and my SIL, Erin -- expect some shoes and headbands in the mail next week sometime! Happy Un-birthday to Madison, Alyssa and Baby A, and Autumn!

PSS: I will probably still buy a pair from Gracious Mae. Probably a bigger size for next year. Really, for the time it takes to hand-make shoes, her price is a great deal! Buy some!!!




12 comments:

allegra said...

holy SHOES!! they turned out so cute!! i couldn't pick a fav, love 'em all! her little silk easter headband turned out cute, too. i'm glad you went to that fabric store i mentioned.. don't they have cute stuff?! congrats on the blessing this weekend-- i can't wait to see pics of aspen all dressed up in her special attire. enjoy the day... it's such a special one!

Cort, Kimi, Metz and Chase said...

those are adorable!!! now I need a little girl and a seamstress!!! I have a sister in law that is having a girl - I bought a white dress with polka dots and was wondering can I "order" a pair I would love to include it in her gift! They are just too fantastic! Let me know! Kimi

Diana said...

SO STINKIN' ADORABLE! and I love those black and white polka dot ones as well. The flower is definitely turning into your trademark I think

Sarah said...

Those are the cutest things I've ever seen in all my life, and I'm not kidding. Makes me want a baby girl again :).

Corey said...

Ok, so I know you just said that you are calling it quits with the crafting for a while but....one of my friends on Bainbridge that I grew up in YWs with, saw your blog through mine and she has a new store called Indie Banditas and she sells local crafters items. She also has a traveling bazaar which she hosts at different places throughout the year. She totally loves your stuff and would love to help you market a few of your items like the headbands and shoes if you are interested. You wouldn't have to make tons it you didn't want to....just a few and see how they sell. Bainbridge has lots of people willing to pay great prices for original and fun baby items. If you are interested let me know and I'll pass you on her info.

All your cute crafts make me wish two things....1. That I had a cute baby girl and 2. That I knew how to sew! Keep up the creative spirit!!!

Corey said...

Ok, so here's the link to her store in case you are interested. http://www.indiebanditas.com/index.html Enjoy!!

Ammo and Josh said...

I LOVE them!! You should open up your own Etsy page and sell them! If I adopt a girl I would buy some from you! You are one seriously talented girl! These look like they should be sold in a fancy boutique or Anthropology!

awtitera said...

How the heck did you make those?? I wanna have another baby just so I can have a reason to do that! If you have a pattern idea.... share it! I love them; you're multi-talented!

Brittany said...

those are DARLING! would i be imposing if i asked you where you found the pattern? i wanna give them a try myself. so, so cute! you are so talented!

Rachel and Jared said...

Those are SO SO cute!! Wish I lived closer so I could learn all these cool projects you are doing!!

Minna Dyer said...

You are maniacal! but in a good way of course :)
They are very very cute. I love the polka dots too.

capturingtheride said...

Let's see...Looks like everyone likes the shoes!

This is where I found a free pattern for baby shoes - and then I COMPLETELY tweaked it. But it's good "bones" to figure your own out!

http://stardustshoes.blogspot.com/2006/10/cloth-shoe-pattern.html

I drew my own sort of pattern. I still do weird things to it as I go along since I am not a real sewer. (I hope no one is offended, but I feel like since I "copied" these shoes from an Etsy seller I shouldn't hand out my own pattern to take away from their business) I don't even pin things together! But for those of you who want to try, maybe that link will help a little?

I use a soft microsuede, doubled up, for the sole, and I use double interfacing for the shoe itself. I did make a pair using the non-skid stuff for my niece who is standing...so she won't slip :)

I don't have time to really be making a bunch of stuff to sell, either, but if any of you are having a baby girl of your own anytime in the future...drop me a hint and maybe just maybe you'll find a sweet pair of what I call "Aspen Janes" in the mail!