June 30, 2010

Old Things







While in Oregon, I had some time to think about a lot of things. One thing I couldn't help but think about was "old things" as the kids and I explored Grammie and Grandpa's house and found many treasures. If you know me, you know I am a minimalist. I tend to lean toward more modern and contemporary, with as little clutter as I can muster in a household with two small children. My kids don't even have very many toys - only enough to fit on one small bookshelf in their room and in a basket in our main living area. But that doesn't mean I don't have some room for a few sentimental pieces, as well.

I found this quilt that my Great-grandmother made for my mother when she was a baby. It is perfect. Just perfect. I have been keeping my eye on quilts that I like - I am not a huge fan of quilts in general - but this one was simply perfect. The right colors. The right mood. Simple. Hand-stitched. Worn, and not too thick. I decided this is the quilt I would like to replicate. Well, someday, anyway...

I also went looking around in my parents huge garage and found this cradle that my Great Uncle Ed made for me when I was a little girl. I loved it then, to cradle my "babies" (who, by the way, were real, and if you called them dolls I would correct you). But now, I love it even more. It reminds me of him, and of my childhood. Of my world.

So, I put two very old, great things made by the handiwork of two great people, together with something rather new - my daughter. I wrapped her in the quilt in the cradle and there she was: perfect.

If I could steal that quilt, I would. If I had a bigger car, I would bring that cradle home. Lucky me, though, I get to have the real baby every day.

I do love old things like these.

What kind of old things do you treasure? Please, drop a note and share :)

PS - Happy 5 months today, Aspen!


3 comments:

allegra said...

tysha, what a BEAUTIFUL post! i loved every photo. gorgeous! everything--the baby, the darling quilt, the colors, the fact that it all meant something to you, so sweet. quilts like that amaze me... how much detailing and hard work goes into it is what makes quilts so special and cherished, don't ya think?

i love old stuff too. my grandma in UT lives on lots of land. she has horses and big open fields and stuff, but my most favorite thing she has in her yard is a little cottage her and my grandpa built for all the grandbabies to play in. there is a bunk bed, a little table, even a fireplace. there is an old oven and tons of doll and dress ups stored nicely in a chest in this cottage. it's where i always played and the whole thing is filled with cute tea cups and darling chairs, etc etc. ANYWAY, so i feel you on how much old things mean a lot. i hope to live in ut one day again so ruby can play in the cottage in her great grandma's yard:) and oh the photo possibilities you and i would enjoy in that cottage taking pics of our girls having a tea party one day...
ok, i'll stop day dreaming right now. he he.

Danielle said...

I was inspired by this post and wrote one of my own:
http://ds4bs.blogspot.com/2010/07/blossoms.html

capturingtheride said...

Allegra - The cottage at your grandparents sounds amazingly adorable. One day we have got to visit and have that tea party with our girls! Seriously!

Danielle - Your post makes me want to go out and buy some African Violets! Such a sweet memory.