May 28, 2010

The Mallard Family







Robert McCloskey's "Make Way For Ducklings" has been one of Sawyer's favorite books ever since Aunt Tia brought for him as a gift from Boston when she came to visit at Easter.

Every time we see a duck, he says "Mr. Mallard!!!"

I love it.

We were quite thrilled on our Sunday evening stroll, to find some ducklings. Jacob was out of town on business, and I didn't have the camera with me, as I had both my hands full with both kidlets.

But I wished I had it, when the sun was setting on the lake and we found the ducklings.

Hence, we went back the next evening. We waited. And waited. But finally, we found them.

We followed them half-way around the lake. They were just so cute!

My hands were really full, with Aspen in one arm, Sawyer within arms reach so he didn't take a dive into the lake, and the camera around my neck. But I managed to snap a few. Now that's what I call multi-tasking :)

I like how in the last photo, you can see the clouds reflected in the water. And how Mrs. Mallard has a very motherly look about her. She knew how to "raise up children", that's for sure!

ps- I love the first one of Mr. & Mrs. Mallard. Did you know ducks mate for life? Someone at the park told me that - I am going to believe it. Doesn't it look like they're stealing away for a kiss?

2 comments:

Minna Dyer said...

So cute!

It is way beyond multi-tasking, I know. I take so many less photos now when I'm out alone with my three kids. It's really a shame, but it takes everything I have to keep my eyes on them and if I put my face up to a camera...

Keep it up. You're awesome!

allegra said...

you are the master multitasker, for sure! all those nanny years have really paid off. sawyer is such a little stud. this post really made me miss boston a lot. max and i would go to the public gardens and watch the ducks all the time. ooh, good times. he has a love/hate relationship with the book though, oddly enough. half the time he loves it and says "we used to go there, mom! boston!" and half the time he's bored with it. :)

one of these days you'll have to take sawyer to the mallard duck statues in the boston public gardens. he'd looove it!!