January 20, 2011

Alligator Adventures

The day after Disney, a handful of us (our family, my twin sister, and our parents) headed out for a nice drive to the headwaters of the Everglades to go on an airboat tour. Admitedly, this is the activity Jacob had most been looking forward to. I was excited too - I think we all agreed it exceeded our expectations - it was awesome! Something real amidst all of the "magic" attractions that Orlando has to offer. We were NOT disappointed...











I had contacted the captain of our boat ahead of time and he said we "might" see a 'gator or two. We saw TONS! From baby 'gator's to "BIG BUBBA" (16 feet long!) we saw lots of them plus beautiful local and some endangered bird species as well. Not to mention the pretty awesome boat ride - I had never even seen an air boat before. It is amazing you can glide - fast - atop only inches of water. It's noisy, and windy - hence our gear - but OH SO FUN! I am positive this is something Sawyer will remember for a very long time! And so will we!

So...if you're ever in the Orlando area - check out Kissimmee Swamp Tours - they don't lie when they say it's worth the drive. It's pretty funky to see cows grazing under palm trees, too, on the drive out ;)

PS - the captain never once said a word about me randomly jumping out of my seat every few moments to try to get closer to the alligators. My dad kept saying "get a good head shot!" I sure tried!

3 comments:

Diana said...

Holy Cow!! hOw awesome was that! I loved your pictures! That is something I will definitely do IF I ever go somewhere that offers it.

allegra said...

how fun! i love the pic you captured of the close up of sawyer and his hair is blowin' in the wind. :) so so cute.

Marie said...

So fun! We went during a drought, and our boat actually got stuck in the mud. You look like you had a great time!