January 25, 2011

Let us eat cake {Martha Stewart's Ruffle Cake}


Hooray!

I did it!

(even if it was a day late)

I have been wanting to make this cute little cake forever. And I am not, let me say that again, N.O.T. a baker. Although, ever since I got this for Christmas, I have had the urge to spend more time in the kitchen :-)

So...I originally wanted to make this cake for Aspen's birthday, but since we are not doing her birthday party at home, the venue doesn't have a kitchen, and the cake obviously wouldn't travel well, I decided, instead, to make it for my own birthday.

(yesterday, it was)

We're eating it tonight! Why not just let the 6 days between me and Aspen's birthdays just be one looooooong celebration?! Hooray!

NOTES FROM MY EXPERIMENT (should you want to try):
I didn't have 3 6" baking dishes, so I just had to be creative. I baked two 8" rounds and then the day got away from me and by the time we picked Jacob up from work it was just too late to finish the cake. So, I baked 2 more 8" rounds this morning. (don't worry, we had a nice treat at dinner and I was the one who begged Jacob to let me make my own cake this year). Anyway, I ended up just cutting an inch from around the perimeter of 3 of the cakes, and I cut the last one into two mini circles - to save for a mini version on Aspen's "real" birthday. Am I boring you yet? I totally cheated. I used Trader Joe's cake mix (it tastes homemade). I did do Martha's buttercream frosting, but was interrupted by Sawyer and it turned out *ok* so I added a tiny bit of confectioner's sugar to thicken it up a bit. It is so-not-good-for-you (but it definitely tastes good!) Oh, also, it is okay to be generous with your "ruffles". I was worried I would run out of frosting, but I had some to spare. For a first try, I think it turned out, well, pretty darling. Almost too cute to eat!


4 comments:

Amy said...

Oooh! That looks delicious! Awesome job on a very pretty cake.

allegra said...

yum! that looks so yummy!! and pretty, too! great job! so glad you made yourself a purty little number for your big day.

i'm surprised you didn't use your martha cake platter to go along with your martha cake:) :)

Danielle said...

It is lovely!
I happen to own 3 6" cake pans. If you ever decide to do this again and want to borrow them, please do let me know. I'd be happy to loan them out. :)

Michaelynn said...

OK, how adorable is that apron? LOVE IT! I would wear it around all the time. I need to invest in some cuter aprons.