January 13, 2010

Here come the baby updates!

36 weeks

*note* For those of you who don't want "too much" information - quit reading now!

This morning I had my 36 week check up. We had a little 2-minute ultrasound to make sure of the baby's position - which is head down just like she should be. I have gained 23lbs. which puts me right about on track with where I was with Sawyer. I still feel like she'll be bigger than Sawyer - probably not much, or maybe I just don't remember quite how I felt towards the end last time - but my guess is she'll be closer to 6lbs.

1.5 cm dilated and 50% effaced. The doc doesn't think I'll make it to 40 weeks. She doesn't think baby will come this week - but she said make sure our bags are packed. I plan on doing that by this weekend. Jacob was like "don't tell her that and get her hopes up...because what if she's not early!?!" Oh well. The infant car seat is all installed and I even got one of those little "bundle me" things for our winter weather baby (okay, so Seattle winters aren't that cold - but still!) It still seems kinda surreal that in the next 2-4 weeks we will have a new baby! As much as we've prepared, and obviously she's grown because my belly is now super round, it still just doesn't seem quite real! I remember feeling similarly before Sawyer was born - but had a lot more time on my hands to reflect and ponder things than I do now. I am so excited to see what she'll be like! And equally excited to see how Sawyer will react to her arrival in our family :)

Okay - so this pregnancy I tested positive for the Group B Strep. Which means, I am going to have to have antibiotics administered through an IV during labor. Ideally, two 20 minute rounds 4 hours apart. Since my labor went quite quickly with Sawyer (I was in "active labor" about 5 hours and at the hospital less than 6 before he came) I am concerned they won't have time to give me both rounds. Doc says perhaps this time I shouldn't stay at home and bake a birthday cake before I go to the hospital :) She also said not to worry, and that a speedy labor and delivery actually decrease the risks. I just HATE IVs! I didn't have to have one with Sawyer at all! Doc says they can administer the antibiotics right when I get to the hospital and then give me a heparin lock so I can still move around and go in the jacuzzi tub etc. Okay...I'll be brave! Doc also said if I do make it to 39 weeks I have the option of being induced so that they can make sure to have time to administer the antibiotics. She also knows I want an all natural birth, so if you get induced the chances go way down of that happening - the whole "cascade" of intervention stuff. BUT. I am generally not in favor of artificial induction, unless medically necessary, so for now I'm not even considering that (although I know a lot of women who would jump at the chance!) Anyone else ever had the Group B Strep that wants to enlighten me to how things went for them?

One last thing: What will she look like? I think Sawyer is a pretty good combo of me and Jacob, he certainly has my eyes and Jacob's hair. I guess here's the part where predictions are welcome! When will she come? (Actual "due date" is Feb. 10th) How much will she weigh? What will she look like?

My guesses: She'll come at the end of January - maybe even on my birthday (the 24th). She'll be about 6lbs give or take a few ounces. She'll have lighter hair than Sawyer - which will eventually turn blond and she'll get her Daddy's blue eyes. How's that? Anyone else have a guess?

ps - this weekend I'll see if I can get Jacob to take some belly shots. we've sorta slacked off on that lately. If he can't take them...I'll do what I did with Sawyer at the end - a self portrait. (It's just kinda tricky when you don't even have a remote for your camera...and have an 18 month old running under foot!) Hopefully, there'll be at least one post with a photo before our little lady arrives!

10 comments:

Dan said...

Having babies is like a good mystery.

The Browns said...

Awesome news Tysha. I was 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced at week 37, but Sydney didn't come until 11 days after her due date. And even then, I had to be induced. I was also GBS+, the antibiotics were no big deal (I didn't want an IV either). I vote for not being induced unless you have to, especially if you want to do hypnobirthing again. Natural childbirth and pitocin don't go together in the same sentence. I tried pitocin without an epidural for 13 hours. It was doable for about the first 2 hours. In then end, all we wanted was a healthy baby so I had an epidural. It's funny how the best laid plans don't often work out like we'd prefer. Good luck in the coming weeks. Your baby will come when she's ready.

c said...

Tysha, I was group b strep with both babies, had to be induced with both (but otherwise had natural childbirths for both), and was on the monitors the whole time with both. It wasn't that bad (I can say so now!). Being monitored or on the IV can actually be a nice safety and when it comes down to it there is very little that can really distract you from your job of getting the baby out! I hope it goes exactly as you hope, but hope too that it just goes well generally :)

allegra said...

i just hope she comes AFTER the 18th at least when my company leaves, cause who knows where we'll be out and and about if you have to bring sawyer by if you're in labor?! but if you do go into labor this weekend, DO still call me! changes are we might just be home chillin' and would love to have him anyway! i wish i could help with the Group B strep thing, no advice there but it will work out fine... my predictions are she'll have dark hair at first.. not a ton, but not bald either. an inbetween amount. then as time progresses it will turn to a light blond. she's gonna be so cute! so excited for you!

Tirza said...

Hey Tysha! Have you read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and the part on Group B Strep? I highly recommend reading it. The chance of your baby actually getting infected is very small. In fact 98% of babies born to group b strep mothers who don't get antibiotics don't get ill. Only two out of 1000 get infected. You can decrease your risk by declining vaginal exams after your water has broken. Based on the above stats I wouldn't induce. I had pitocin and those contractions are a whole other world from natural labor. It starts a cascade of other interventions as well. So take heart, it's very unlikely Aspen will get infected!

Marie said...

Good luck! I was in labor 5 hours with Alyssa, but less than 1 with Abigail. Crazy. And Abigail was almost 2 pounds bigger than her sister. I guess I learned that what happens with the first is not a good indication of what will happen with the second. I hope she comes soon. I can't wait to see pictures! And it is so wonderful to not be pregnant anymore!

AO said...

I tested positive with Collin, and I remember being nervous, but the IV wasn't a big deal. But I was a wimp and had an epidural, so either way.... it was a small part of a big night of a lot of things, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm excited to meet little Aspen!

kd said...

I was going to give you the good-news stats on Aspen actually contracting GBS, but SimpleT beat me to it! When I talked it over with my midwife we decided not to even test me for it because my labors go so quickly there would be NO WAY to administer the antibiotics even if I wanted them, which I didn't - I am very anti unnecessary antibiotics. But however it goes, just keep yourself in a happy place! Best wishes!

Alldredge said...

Congrats! I can't believe you're already due! (But I still haven't seen you for quite some time!) We need to get together after she comes and you have re-cooped!! I had the group strep b on both kids and then was induced, so I am no help to you, sorry. Good luck, I can't wait to meet her :)

lbgianni said...

I was Strep B positive with #2, but only had time for one round of Antibiotics before he was born (55 minutes after we arrived at the hospital & 4 min after my water broke!). The only thing they insisted on was monitoring the baby for 24 hrs after birth to make sure there were no signs of infection. The risks are so low, I would not worry about it. Just make sure you get to the hospital on time so you don't have a car delivery!